The church, founded in the 6th century A.D., was the seat of a community of Benedictine monks and reached the peak of its importance after the year 1000.
A true lighthouse of culture, Pomposa had one of the most extensive libraries of the time. Among the personalities that made it so famous was the monk Guido da Pomposa who invented the modern musical notation.
The Abbey church is decorated with 14th century frescoes; the floor is covered with mosaics of great value, with sections laid in different periods (from the 6th to the 12th century) and in different styles.
Worth seeing are also the Chapterhouse, the Refectory and the Abbey Museum. Pomposa is famous for its food and wines, also listed in the "Strada dei Vini e dei sapori - La via del grande fiume".
Via Pomposa Centro, 1
44021 Codigoro (FE)
Tel. ++39 0533-719110
Fax ++39 0533-719110
Opening: Open troughout the year